Some friends and I went to Iceland last week. It was more of a spur of the moment decision after watching Sigur Ros’ documentary called Heima, which is the most remarkable cinematography I’ve seen in a film, and a few months later we were on a plane. It was extremely cheap (plane, food, car rental, cottage all for under $1000 a person) and our travel points flew us for free, so it was kind of a no brainer. Then after seeing photos from the internet, I could not wait to see this new wonderland. The pictures took me a while to get them all together since we had a lot of work to get done since we were away, but here are the much asked for photos from the trip. Stephanie will be posting her photos as well in which time I’ll update this post with a link to hers. We also brought a wedding dress, just because it made taking pictures even more entertaining.
UPDATE: Steph posted her Iceland photos here.
The country was unreal. We said it was like visiting a new planet every day.
1. Moss was everywhere, fields of bright green moss growing off lava rock wherever you looked. It was soft and squishy to walk on and is unlike any landscape I’ve seen.
2. Lava fields and volcanoes. Dan and I climbed an active volcano and stood on top and could see the lava rock fields that extended over 20 kilometers.
3. Glaciers, this was awesome.
4. Caves, I think I could live in one.
6. Waterfalls, every single moment you could look in a different direction and see water falling, and it’s so beautiful.
7. Ocean, contrasted with the black beaches and lava rock, it just stands out different and is so beautiful.
8. Mountains, we stayed in a cottage on the side of one, and it was unreal.
9. Geysers and Hot Springs, the water smells horrid, but still is unreal.
Our days were full of watching these sites. It never stopped. By far the most visually stimulating experience I’ve had and my favourite country for sites. It was a phenomenal ten days. Here is some of my favourites. You can see all the photos here and below I’ve pasted some of my favourites.
12 thoughts on “Iceland Photos”
these are gorgeous!
Nathan, these are absolutely incredible. You turned every image into a unique piece of art. I’m blown away. You should do a coffee table album of your trip! These are ART! I want some for my house!! hahaha Seriously, stunning images & editing. You have a gift! And Rachel really rocked the crap out of that dress. Helps to have a model for a wife when you’re a photog eh?? That dress was meant to be hers in Iceland!!!
ok, ridiculous pictures, you should sell these! thanks for sharing. beautiful
btw, what camera, what lenses
shot on a 5d mkII, pretty much all with a 17-40mm f4 canon lens
Remember you offered to take me on weekly camera shoots so I could learn my camera better. I think we should get back to that……..lol Your pics are absolutely amazing. I enjoyed all of them. Rachel rocked!
Wow…..those pictures are unreal!!!
Very nice pictures !!!!!!!
Stunning photos! The white dress was a very nice touch. You captured the beauty of Iceland and I can’t wait to visit it.
Great photos, Nathan. My wife and I went in August and we perked up when we saw via the Iceland Tourism website that you were from Sarnia – I grew up in Chatham and have family in Sarnia. I echo many of your thoughts on the country.
I just posted my photos as well if you’d like to take a look – if you click the locations on the map, it’ll bring up corresponding video and photos from that location.
Hey Brian, thanks for the comment, and your photos are gorgeous, one is my background now. Thanks for the link!
Sarnia is a great city, with the lake and river, I do love it here, Iceland was like visiting another planet.
Again, great pics!
great great great !!